Wednesday 1 June 2016

"The Queen of Zombie Hearts (White Rabbit Chronicles #3)" Book Review



My Rating ★★★☆☆ 3 Stars
The “final” book in the series!!! Or is it?
Ali and slayer friends are back doing what they do best – flirting with each other, inventing witty comebacks on the spot and slaying stinky Z’s.
Ali thinks the worst is behind her, that Anima took all they could and there’s nothing more they could possibly take from her. Boy! She couldn’t be more wrong. Anima has big plans and sends in zombies in a sneak attack against our favourite slayers. Four friends die and the team is crushed, but sadly they can’t take a break to mourn the deaths of their dearly departed because they’ve got a corporation to take down, Z’s are still after them and someone on their team is a double agent who’s helping Anima.
Through all this, Ali learns she isn’t who she thought she was. She now has new abilities, one of which allows her to control the Zombies and she meets a mystery woman who may or may not cause her relationship with Cole to be in danger.
I wouldn’t say this was a “stunning” conclusion to the white Rabbit Chronicles. It was an adequate conclusion. Ali and the other slayers are stronger now, they’ve defeated Anima and they get to move on with their lives, placing Anima in their past.
They endured quite a loss, some more painful than others but that didn’t stop them from fighting, it fuelled their rage. I didn’t connect with this one as much as I did with the others. The deaths didn’t affect me, not in the least bit. The first four friends that Ali lost had me thinking “I don’t give a flying fuck about these fucks”, the only one I knew a little bit about was the girl. Then I realized one of the other deaths was the guy she was dating.
This is the third book of the series and my least favourite. My rating has nothing really to do with the execution of the plot. I think Gena Showalter is a great storyteller with a very active imagination. There are a few reasons why I didn’t like this one. One of the reasons being the way she chose to represent teenage talk through texting. That is such a pet peeve which infuriates me – shortening words like ‘you’ to ‘U’ and ‘waiting’ to ‘w8ing’ or something like that.
I also dislike teenager, immature girl friendships with a passion so of course it annoyed me whenever Kat and Ali had conversations, or when Reeve and Ali or when the threesome got together to have girl time all while chaos ensues around them. One of my least favourite scenes was when the girls were taking selfies. UGH….
I’m going to say it again, why are the teenagers the ones who are doing all the heavy lifting? These teenagers are dropping like flies; why not call in reinforcements (adult slayers) from the other states to provide aid. You want to take down a corporation (Guh, have I mentioned how much I fucking hate pretentious plots which feature TEENAGERS trying to take down corporations?) why not attack with full force? Call in slayers from all over the world to help!
Its YA, so I do understand the teenagers having a prominent presence than adults. I also completely understand if someone less misanthropic and more enthusiastic were to give this 5 stars, I would give it 5 stars if I had a different personality. It’s a good book; well written and action packed, it just didn’t connect with my inner-misanthropic-self.

No comments:

Post a Comment